This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] Enable building glibc with gold.
- From: David Miller <davem at davemloft dot net>
- To: allan at archlinux dot org
- Cc: libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 22:47:54 -0800 (PST)
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Enable building glibc with gold.
- References: <50ECF5AD.email@example.com><50ED0BCF.firstname.lastname@example.org>
From: Allan McRae <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 16:18:55 +1000
> On 09/01/13 14:44, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>> Which leave us with two courses of action:
>> (1) Don't support building with gold.
>> Given that there are regressions we should not
>> support building with gold at all. Knowing that
>> downstream distributions and users might build
>> glibc with gold and ignore the testsuite results.
>> (2) Support building with gold.
>> Enable building with gold in order to help
>> minimize the work required to test building with
>> gold. Downstream distributions can switch the system
>> default to gold and start diagnosing failures. As
>> a counter-point to (1) Debian's build system will
>> fail a package build if regressions are detected in
>> the testsuite (prevents a gold build from being uploaded).
>> I'm inclined strongly to (2) because it enables developer
>> choice and makes it easier to test "new" technology.
> I also favour (2). Any downstream distribution or user not checking the
> testsuite results is asking for breakage...