Re: Spurious rebuild of Versions.v.i

Roland McGrath wrote:
I don't remember precisely what went wrong, but I'm guessing that it's
the use of a temporary file with a fixed name (Versions.v.iT). Redirecting into the file from both awks may produce strange results,
f.ex. temporary corruption of Versions.i long enough to generate a
corrupt Versions.v.

Good point.

That *shouldn't* happen, since I think the .i file is created as a temp file, then mv'd into position, which ought to be atomic.

But if Dan J says he saw it fail, that's a good enough excuse
to stop running that rule twice at the same time.