This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: mips64 n32 and n64 support in dl-machine.h
- From: Ulrich Drepper <drepper at redhat dot com>
- To: Roland McGrath <roland at redhat dot com>
- Cc: Alexandre Oliva <aoliva at redhat dot com>, libc-alpha at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 21:41:38 -0800
- Subject: Re: mips64 n32 and n64 support in dl-machine.h
- Organization: Red Hat, Inc.
- References: <200303140529.h2E5TCP13738@magilla.sf.frob.com>
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Roland McGrath wrote:
> I would like someone else who knows the mips relocs to look at this patch too.
> I don't know enough about mips to evaluate it.
It's not only this. The whole concept the mips "ABI" (I wouldn't even
call it that) uses is broken. MIPS alone would have as many ABIs as all
the others architectures. Somebody who is not MIPS-affiliated should
design one new ABI and all the old ABIs should be forgotten. Adding any
of these changes would increase maintenance costs considerably for no
benefit except for MIPS. So it's them who have to carry the load by
maintaining their own branch if they insist on these braindamaged ABIs
- --------------. ,-. 444 Castro Street
Ulrich Drepper \ ,-----------------' \ Mountain View, CA 94041 USA
Red Hat `--' drepper at redhat.com `---------------------------
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (GNU/Linux)
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----