This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: ChangeLogs in commit messages
- From: Gary Benson <gbenson at redhat dot com>
- To: Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>
- Cc: Doug Evans <xdje42 at gmail dot com>, Mike Frysinger <vapier at gentoo dot org>, gdb at sourceware dot org, Andreas Arnez <arnez at linux dot vnet dot ibm dot com>
- Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 16:27:24 +0100
- Subject: Re: ChangeLogs in commit messages
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20140814132939 dot GH4924 at adacore dot com> <20140815084819 dot GB30130 at blade dot nx> <20140815121102 dot GB6019 at adacore dot com> <20140815130913 dot GA1954 at blade dot nx> <20140815132816 dot GC6019 at adacore dot com> <20140815150202 dot GA5674 at blade dot nx> <20140815160829 dot GF6019 at adacore dot com> <20140818083110 dot GA18549 at blade dot nx> <CAP9bCMSr4kd=cn0xvtk8vyR3kG6RNRfb1uuAbLvEkLkX4r=zGw at mail dot gmail dot com> <20140818150510 dot GB4828 at adacore dot com>
Joel Brobecker wrote:
> > > I'm happy with this. Do you want the "ChangeLog" in the path?
> > Me too.
> > As for ChangeLog in the path,
> > Do you mean prepending entries with "gdb/ChangeLog" or
> > "testsuite/ChangeLog" instead of just "gdb/" or "testsuite/" ?
> > If so, I would say skip "ChangeLog", keep just, e.g., "testsuite/".
> > That's the existing convention.
> FWIW, I think that the extra "ChangeLog" bring 2 benefits:
> - it makes it clear we're starting a ChangeLog entry:
> - it reduces the chances of a false-positive when parsing
> the revision log for one or more CL entries. I found this out
> while developing a parser that I use in the context of
> the gdb release.
> Small bonus: When you modify the root ChangeLog file, the entry
> ends up looking like this...
> | ChangeLog:
> | * file: description.
I'm happy with this. I'll wait a day or so in case somebody objects,
and if not I'll update the wiki.