CIE version number vis-a-vis 000330.1

Yesterday we approved 000330.1, which includes in part a change in the CIE
version number to 2 (from 1 in DWARF 2.0) -- but we did not discuss that
point specifically.

I question whether the version number change is really necessary. Shouldn't
it already be the case that a DWARF consumer should recognise and deal
delicately with any CIE instruction code it does not understand (whether
vendor defined or not)? So long as we don't change the encoding or meaning
of any *existing* (V2.0) CIE instruction, it seems like adding a couple new CIE
instructions to the list should not require an increase in the CIE version
number. Am I missing something?

Ron

p.s. If that isn't quite right, perhaps an alternative is to specify that the
version number is 1 if only codes from Dwarf V2.0 are used, and is 2 only
if one of the new codes from V2.1 is actually present.