RE: [mingw32] Re: [RFC] changing gcc default output executable na me (a.exe now)

Title: RE: [mingw32] Re: [RFC] changing gcc default output executable na me (a.exe now)

As far as I know the problems which were solved by having the .exe automatically appended to the executable's name could have just as easily been dealt with via Makefiles, and I agree it probably creates more problems than it solves.  For that matter why couldn't we have just been forced to do something like gcc -o a.exe a.c instead?  This interoperability tradeoff has a cost in terms of emulation.

Related to another thread, I think cygwin goes after two slightly different objectives at the same time and it creates problems when you talk about things like the POSIX filenames mentioned earlier.  On the one hand you want to have a UNIX emulation layer and on the other you want to have interoperability with the Windows environment.  I personally place a lot less emphasis on the latter.  Windows be damned.  Maybe there should be two environments, one for compromises to induce interoperability and another without those compromises.  My guess is that the latter would be easier to setup and easier to use.

Brian