Re: uxterm from xterm-185-3 and xfontsel crashing when running undercygserver support

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Mar 25 13:38, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

Volker,

Using the Cygwin Way-Back Machine (http://cygwin.get-software.com/release/XFree86/XFree86-xserv/)
I have retrieved a copy of XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-55 which is immediately prior to the change from cygserver to cygipc. I would like you to test this version and verify whether you can or cannot reproduce the problem with cygipc. It is always possible that this is just a bug in the big font extension that we have not noticed before.

To retrieve the -55 version, point setup.exe to:

http://www.egr.msu.edu/~huntharo/cygwin_old/

That's a good idea, thank you.

No problem.

Other than that, I'm not at all familar with that stuff.  How can I
set up a minimal test system, so that it uses the bigfont extension
and, especially, IPC?  Yesterday I just started cygserver, XWin and
uxterm, and it doesn't use IPC by default, apparently.

As long as you have cygserver started and CYGWIN=server defined in a way that XWin can see it from however you are starting it, then you should *not* see the following around line 40 in /tmp/XWin.log:

MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support
XFree86-Bigfont extension local-client optimization disabled due to lack of shared memory support in the kernel

If those lines are missing then shared memory is being used. There is no positive indication in the log that shared memory is being used, just the absence of the negative indication.

Hope that helps,