Re: GENERATE_SHLIB_SCRIPT vs. EMBEDDED

On Tue, Nov 05, 2019 at 09:47:52AM +0100, Christophe Lyon wrote:
> > So, this patch removes GENERATE_SHLIB_SCRIPT and GENERATE_PIE_SCRIPT
> > in most emulparams files where EMBEDDED is set, restoring the shared
> > lib and pie support in emulparams files that unset EMBEDDED after
> > including a file where the support is removed.
>
> On my side, after your committed this patch, I've noticed many regressions on
> aarch64*-elf and arm-none-eabi:
> https://ci.linaro.org/job/tcwg-compare-results/9217/artifact/artifacts/logs/0-report.html
>
> Aren't these targets part of the set you regularly test? Or don't they
> regress for you?

Um, I see I only test aarch64-linux and aarch64_be-linux-gnu_ilp32 for
aarch64 so the aarch64-elf changes weren't tested at all.  I test
arm-linuxeabi, arm-nacl, arm-netbsdelf, arm-nto, arm-pe,
arm-symbianelf, arm-vxworks, arm-wince-pe, and armeb-linuxeabi but
that doesn't hit any of the arm-elf targets either.  :-(

Testsuite regressions aside, is the patch wrong for aarch64-elf and
arm-elf targets?  That's the real question here.  Or should
aarch64-elf and perhaps arm-elf *not* set EMBEDDED and instead
provide the usual shared lib and PIE support?

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM