This is the mail archive of the
binutils@sourceware.org
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: PDOS/386 port
- From: "Paul Edwards" <mutazilah at gmail dot com>
- To: <binutils at sourceware dot org>, "Nick Clifton" <nickc at redhat dot com>
- Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2019 04:38:51 +1100
- Subject: Re: PDOS/386 port
- References: <C63676AC2BF042F78EB8B2D4C7A9C6A7@DESKTOP57VDCOT> <07056458-ea83-30bc-26be-197bed63ee97@redhat.com>
Hi Nick, thanks for your reply.
I am using binutils 2.14a with a target
of i386-aout.
This is a *very* old version of the binutils.
I thought this was a good choice because
there was a long time between 2.14 and
2.15 so I thought 2.14 was stable.
I have invested a lot of time getting 2.14
to work ready to run on PDOS/386.
Actually it probably is a binutils bug. Most likely the assembler
being generated by gcc is too "new" for the 2.14 linker...
Remember that GCC 3.2.3 that I am using
is old too. Regardless, I am using 2.14 as
a cross-compiler from Windows, using
the Cygwin library, and it works fine with
the GCC 3.2.3 output. So it is more likely
to be something introduced by either my
new C library (PDPCLIB) or PDOS/386.
It's just that it is difficult to marry up a
stange binutils message with a deficiency
in PDOS/PDPCLIB.
Unfortunately since the i386-aout target is now deprecated
It is a shame this happened. It's an important
target to me, along with i370.
BFN. Paul.