This is the mail archive of the binutils@sourceware.org mailing list for the binutils project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: [committed] RISC-V: Accept constant operands in la and lla


On Thu, 21 Jun 2018 21:17:09 PDT (-0700), sebastian.huber@embedded-brains.de wrote:
On 21/06/18 18:06, Palmer Dabbelt wrote:

I try to add a documentation of "lla". See also:

https://groups.google.com/a/groups.riscv.org/forum/#!topic/sw-dev/sDQWmHyzHi8

Thanks.  I suppose this should be documented in the GAS manual, though we don't have any of the pseudos in there.  Do you mind adding a section to

   gas/doc/c-riscv.texi

for pseduo ops that contains lla?  We can add the rest later...

Should the GAS manual really duplicate the RISC-V manuals? I would only describe the command line options and add a links to the relevant RISC-V manuals.

I'm OK with that.

Additionally, we've been collecting all the standard interfaces in RISC-V specific manuals.  Do you mind adding a bit here about lla (and then modifying the la bit to include that it can take constants)

https://github.com/riscv/riscv-asm-manual/blob/master/riscv-asm.md

I also left a comment in the middle of the source about "lla 0xFFFFFFFF" on RV64I, which I think should be supported.

Thanks for the patch, and sorry for making so much more work :)

My original plan was to add this lla documentation to:

https://github.com/riscv/riscv-isa-manual

Why do you have two places for assembler documentation?

We're trying to separate the ISA constructs from toolchain constructs. It's the same reason we keep the ABI document separate from the ISA manual. I guess at this point it's really a RISC-V thing more than a binutils thing, so feel free to open teh PR you were planning on and then we can talk about it in RISC-V land.

Thanks!


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]