This is the mail archive of the binutils@sourceware.org mailing list for the binutils project.
| Index Nav: | [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index] | |
|---|---|---|
| Message Nav: | [Date Prev] [Date Next] | [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] |
| Other format: | [Raw text] | |
On Thu, May 03, 2018 at 05:26:48PM -0700, Jim Wilson wrote:
I noticed this today while trying to modify Makefile.am and regenerate
Makefile.in. I ended up with a change to Makefile.in that I didn't make. The
problem is a minor bug in a recent patch from Christophe Lyon
https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2018-04/msg00216.html
This highlights an issue which I've regarded as strange ever since I've been
looking at the binutils repostory:
What on earth are files such as Makefile.in, configure, and many other
generated files doing in the repository in the first place?
As I see it, the purpose of the repository is to hold the source code. That
is to say files which have been typed by someone. If a file has been generated
(either by autoconf, automake, gettext, a script or whatever), then it has
no business being in the the repository. Firstly it is redundant, secondly it
forces unnecessary merge conflicts, thirdly it causes confusion in cases such
as this, and fourthly if a something breaks, it might go unnoticed for some
time.
I suggest that all generated files are removed from the repo, (and a bootstrap
script, or auxiallary Makefile be introduced to regenerate them).
J'
--
Avoid eavesdropping. Send strong encrypted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3
fingerprint = 8797 A26D 0854 2EAB 0285 A290 8A67 719C 2DE8 27B3
See http://sks-keyservers.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.
Attachment:
signature.asc
Description: Digital signature
| Index Nav: | [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index] | |
|---|---|---|
| Message Nav: | [Date Prev] [Date Next] | [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] |