This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH 0/3] binutils: read from stdin if input file is -
- From: Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>
- To: Ahmad Fatoum <ahmad at a3f dot at>, binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 14:31:17 +0000
- Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] binutils: read from stdin if input file is -
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
> Changes behavior of dlltool, nlmconv, nm, objcopy, objdump and size
> to allow niftiness like:
> printf "\xCC" | objdump -D -bbinary -mi386 -
> Affects the layout of struct bfd as well. Is this ok?
Yes, but I would like to request a couple of additions:
* Please add a patch to the binutils/NEWS file to mention
this new behaviour.
* Please update the binutils/doc/binutils.texi file to
document the new behaviour.
* It would be really nice if you could create a new test
(or two) in the binutils testsuite to verify that the
new behaviour works. I am not sure how difficult this
will be however.
One other thing. In patch 1:
+ XDELETEVEC ((char *) abfd->temp_filename);
I think it would be nicer to just use free() here, rather
than XDELETEVEC, since make_temp_name does just return a malloc'ed
buffer. Speaking of which:
+ nbfd->temp_filename = make_temp_file (NULL);
You need to check to see if make_temp_file() returned NULL here...