This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCHv2 2/2] gas/opcodes: Add initial arc nps400 support
- From: Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>
- To: Andrew Burgess <andrew dot burgess at embecosm dot com>
- Cc: Andreas Schwab <schwab at suse dot de>, binutils at sourceware dot org, noamca at mellanox dot com, Claudiu dot Zissulescu at synopsys dot com, Cupertino dot Miranda at synopsys dot com
- Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 15:52:59 +0000
- Subject: Re: [PATCHv2 2/2] gas/opcodes: Add initial arc nps400 support
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <cover dot 1456947552 dot git dot andrew dot burgess at embecosm dot com> <14db4e9931234715abf1fdb281a4d99f54b44852 dot 1456947552 dot git dot andrew dot burgess at embecosm dot com> <mvmzitzho8i dot fsf at hawking dot suse dot de> <20160315134957 dot GK14100 at embecosm dot com> <mvmvb4nhm5w dot fsf at hawking dot suse dot de>
On 15/03/16 14:04, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> The custom insns should always be supported, controlled by an -m option.
Exactly - this is the point that I was trying to get at. (But failing spectacularly
due to my fuddled brain). Supporting extra instructions should be an option
(to the assembler and disassembler), and possibly protected by a flag bit somewhere
(eg the ELF header) in order to avoid mixing nps400 object files with non nps400
I know that I have just posted an approval of your patch, but I would much rather
that you did not follow up on that, and instead looked at the possibility of handling
the extension as indicated above.