This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Building binutils for mspgcc fails
- From: Nicholas Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>
- To: Randy Yates <yates at digitalsignallabs dot com>, binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 16:40:44 +0100
- Subject: Re: Building binutils for mspgcc fails
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <87ppgzs8qh dot fsf at digitalsignallabs dot com>
Everything goes fine until I hit the build step, at which point
I get this error:
gcc -c -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -g -O2 -I. -I../../../binutils-2.21.1/libiberty/../include -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wc++-compat -Wstrict-prototypes -pedantic ../../../binutils-2.21.1/libiberty/regex.c -o regex.o
/tmp/ccup7V3n.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/ccup7V3n.s:119: Error: expecting string instruction after `rep'
What does the actual assembler source look like ? (Ie please compile
with --save-temps added and then look at the assembler source).
The problem is likely to be a gcc bug (generating bad msp430 assembler)
rather than an assembler bug (failing to accept valid msp430 assembler),
but without the the source file we cannot determine which tool is wrong.