This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: binutils causes GLIBC ifunc breakage on PowerPC64 ELFv2
- From: Aurelien Jarno <aurelien at aurel32 dot net>
- To: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 14:05:07 +0200
- Subject: Re: binutils causes GLIBC ifunc breakage on PowerPC64 ELFv2
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20140817141005 dot GA8158 at hall dot aurel32 dot net> <20140818112755 dot GC7047 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org>
On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 08:57:55PM +0930, Alan Modra wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 04:10:05PM +0200, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> > Bisecting the issue I have found the problem has been introduced by this
> > commit:
> > | commit d1eca1e41ddae8c3cd925be827640de919301432
> > | Author: Alan Modra <email@example.com>
> > | Date: Wed Jul 2 15:07:18 2014 +0930
> > |
> > | Taking an undefined function's address in an executable
> > |
> > | doesn't always mean you need to define a function symbol on plt code.
> > | If all references are in read-write sections, then using dynamic relocs
> > | is OK.
> Thanks for tracking this down.
> This probably could be fixed by making changes in relocate_section for
> ifunc, but it's simpler to disable this optimisation for ifunc.
> * elf64-ppc.c (ppc64_elf_adjust_dynamic_symbol): Don't attempt to
> use dynrelocs for ifunc.
> * elf32-ppc.c (ppc_elf_adjust_dynamic_symbol): Similarly.
Thanks for the quick patch. I confirm it fixes the problem for elf64.
Unfortunately I don't have a full toolchain ready to test the elf32
Aurelien Jarno GPG: 4096R/1DDD8C9B