Re: RFC: Support link with mixed IR/non-IR objects

- -ffunction-sections code may be reorganized, losing cache locality.
   eg. two different files each with a static "setup" function will
   have those functions placed together in the same section.

Kernel doesn't use this.
- Combining sections prevents --gc-sections from working as well as it
   could.
Obsolete with LTO

- On targets like powerpc64, ld -r may cause overflow of the .toc
   section in the resulting relocatable object file.  If the files were
   left separate, the final ld could cope by generating multiple .toc
   sections.

Is that a real problem for the kernel?

As far as I can tell the only real problem is the LTO issue and HJ solved
that.

Your arguments are not persuasive, especially given the complexity of the kernel
build system.

If HJs patchkit is not merged I just have to advise people to use his toolchain
for LTO kernel builds instead. That would be unfortunate.

-Andi