This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: RFC: Support link with mixed IR/non-IR objects
- From: Andi Kleen <ak at linux dot intel dot com>
- To: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- Cc: "H.J. Lu" <hongjiu dot lu at intel dot com>, binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 16:18:49 -0700
- Subject: Re: RFC: Support link with mixed IR/non-IR objects
- References: <20120506205217.GA3513@intel.com>
On 5/6/2012 1:52 PM, H.J. Lu wrote:
This is a re-submit of implemenation of SHT_GNU_OBJECT_ONLY:
The motivation is to provide transparent support for LTO with "ld -r".
It is used for Linux kernel LTO build.
Thanks HJ. I've been working for some time on a linux kernel LTO build.
kernel absolutely needs this feature to build with LTO. The build system
relies on ld -r and it would be very intrusive to avoid this. As more
people are starting
to use this mainline binutils support would be good.
Please consider adding these patches.