This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
gold patch committed: Update comment
- From: Ian Lance Taylor <iant at google dot com>
- To: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 13:38:55 -0700
- Subject: gold patch committed: Update comment
I committed this patch to update a command about signature names.
2011-07-05 Ian Lance Taylor <email@example.com>
* object.cc (Sized_relobj_file::include_section_group): Add
information to comment about signature location.
RCS file: /cvs/src/src/gold/object.cc,v
retrieving revision 1.145
diff -u -p -r1.145 object.cc
--- object.cc 30 Jun 2011 00:50:13 -0000 1.145
+++ object.cc 5 Jul 2011 20:37:38 -0000
@@ -748,10 +748,11 @@ Sized_relobj_file<size, big_endian>::inc
// just like ordinary sections.
elfcpp::Elf_Word flags = elfcpp::Swap<32, big_endian>::readval(pword);
- // Look up the group signature, which is the name of a symbol. This
- // is a lot of effort to go to to read a string. Why didn't they
- // just have the group signature point into the string table, rather
- // than indirect through a symbol?
+ // Look up the group signature, which is the name of a symbol. ELF
+ // uses a symbol name because some group signatures are long, and
+ // the name is generally already in the symbol table, so it makes
+ // sense to put the long string just once in .strtab rather than in
+ // both .strtab and .shstrtab.
// Get the appropriate symbol table header (this will normally be
// the single SHT_SYMTAB section, but in principle it need not be).