Re: ARM-ELF -> PE-COFF with objcopy

i-love-spam wrote:
> I tried some stuff and I noticed that if I pack and unpack .dll with upx
> they aren't identical anymore. if I try to: arm-mingw32ce-strip.exe -s
> mydll.dll
>
> and then if I try to use upx I get this error in red color: upx: mydll.dll:
> InternalError: FIXME: soxrelocs != assumed_soxrelocs
>
> I downloaded upx src and there is no such code with this error message! Any
> ideas what could be wrong? Is that strip corrupts the dll?

  It could conceivably be a problem related to long section name handlings.
Can you send a copy me the original DLL (off list)?

> By the way, strip -s means "Remove all symbol and relocation information",
> what kind of impact does it have on the final release binary is it ok to do
> it or better not to?

  Well the obvious thing is that your end-users won't be able to debug it; you
might want to leave the choice up to them, or ship both versions.  I imagine
disk/flash space on the final devices is quite limited and you might want to
strip DLLs to conserve space, but do you also work with em/simulators that
have more space where debuggable versions would be an advantage?

    cheers,
      DaveK