Re: profile system API performance

Hi George,

Actually, I have read through the web site (http://www.gnu.org/software/libc) for major items before asking this question, but there are no document for how to rebuild a libc and no related mail list. Have you found them from the web site?

Sure. Did you see glibc manual ? Specifically:

http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Configuring-and-compiling.html#Configuring-and-compiling

and

http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Running-make-install.html#Running-make-install

My challenge is, I need to profile application on various Linux machines, and
for some Linux machine, I do not know the distribution name and I only know the architecture, for example, x86-32, Power PC, etc. Any ideas of which glibc-profile should I try?

Running "rpm -q glibc" should tell you which version of glibc is installed on any particular machine. If that version of linux uses the rpm package manager. I am sure that there are equivalent commands for other package managers, but this is getting way off topic. This is a binutils mailing list not a linux questions mailing list.

Why the glibc-profile are vendor dependent?

They may not be. Some vendors may use stock versions of glibc. Others may apply their own set of patches to a particular glibc release, making their own version.