This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Question about other debuginfo reduction possibilities
- From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow at false dot org>
- To: Jan Kratochvil <lace at jankratochvil dot net>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org, Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>
- Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 10:09:26 -0400
- Subject: Re: Question about other debuginfo reduction possibilities
- References: <20060626134607.GA21397@host0.dyn.jankratochvil.net>
On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 03:46:07PM +0200, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
> The only major difference is that there are DWARF2 references (DW_FORM_ref4)
> across compilation units (and these references are even relative to the offset
> of the compilation unit header). Right now I found out it is a violation of
> TIS-DWARF-2.0, page 73, keyword "reference":
> The offset must refer to an entry within that same compilation unit.
In addition to what Jakub said, you can't use DW_FORM_ref4 this way.
Consumers don't expect inter-compilation-unit references here. Use
Alan posted initial patches for editing dwarf2 information in binutils
a while ago. You'd have to do something very differently to change the
content of DIEs in the way you need to do here... but they might still
be a useful starting point. Assuming you want to do this at some point
in binutils and not in elfutils; elfutils isn't really on-topic for