Re: --enable-auto-import extension

Hi!

Tuesday, 02 July, 2002 Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu wrote:

>> What i was talking about is 64-bit versions of windows where addresses
>> (and so base symbol values and addends are 64-bit). Or if we want to
>> add some other types of relocations. Adding type field will make it
>> possible to add extensions to this feature.

CW> </sheepish> Yeah.  What he said.  <I'll be over here....>

Well, after thinking twice about it i concluded that such flexibility
may be not that good after all. Sure, it allows adding extensions, but
make it hard to check at link-time if runtime support for those
extensions is present. So i think we can stay with simple format of
pseudo relocations for now.

>> Of course. Luckily, all we have to check is that it doesn't change
>> binaries for existing code,

CW> Hard to do, really -- DLLs get a timestamp in their header, so even
CW> under ideal conditions you can't do a simple diff on two DLLs...I
CW> suppose you could make sure that two DLLs differ ONLY in "unimportant"
CW> ways, like timestamp.

Someone suggested that one can do 'cmp -i 150 old.dll new.dll', or
whatever offset timestamp is located at.

Ok, i've finalized patch and test. I suppose i have a copyright
assignment with FSF for this changes to get incorporated into official
sources. As far as i understand, i have to get an assignment form from
binutils maintainer, right?