Re: PATCH: Fix the MIPS ISA ELF setting (Re: RedHat 7.1/mips update)

> I thought 4100 implemented MIPS 3 ISA plus a few and MIPS 3 ISA was a super
> set of MIPS 2 ISA. The main issue is 32bit vs. 64bit. The instructions in
> MIPS 2 ISA are 32bit. But MIPS 3 ISA is 64bit. I guess the real quetion is
> how to generate the 32bit vr4100 binary with the proper setting in the ELF
> header without modifying the source code. I guess "-mgp32 -mfp32" may
> work. But Jim has to try it.

Right, but the problem lies when it isn't just "plus a few", it's "plus
a few, minus a few" and then you don't get chips that are anything
resembling "standard" ISAs.

> BTW, I don't quite understand the alias thing for MIPS ISA. I thought
> several MIPS CPUs could implement the same ISA. You can generate binaries
> for that ISA to run on all MIPS CPUs which implement it. Otherwise, we
> may have to have one version of binary for each CPU.

You may indeed :) You could compile everything for mipsI and try that.
Maybe even mips2.  The problem lies when you want other instructions at
which point that's when I want to be able to use .set arch <foo> for
startup code and such.

-eric

--
Fridays are not "pants optional"