Re: PATCH: fix brokeness for cygwin

> This is fine by me.  If the DOS/Cygwin people are happy with your change, go
> ahead and check it into the branch.

None of the dos-based ports (dos, cygwin, uwin, msvc) fail with the
'/' slashes in a path, so that part is OK.  The only part that would
matter is this:

  if (base_len != 0
      && temp_filename[base_len-1] != '/'
      && temp_filename[base_len-1] != DIR_SEPARATOR)
    temp_filename[base_len++] = DIR_SEPARATOR;

But without '\\' we'd just end up with two consecutive slashes.  The
only time that's a problem is if they're right at the beginning of the
path, where Windows treats it as a share name (think
\\machine\c\windows).  Best to avoid that.  I think a safe solution is
to change that first chunk of your patch to define DIR_SEPARATOR2 and
#ifdefly include the second != in the source above.  There's two
places in choose-temp.c that do that.

Too bad we can't just merge the head code, it's completely different.