Re: "Warning: size of symbol FOO changed from X to Y in OBJ"

amodra@one.net.au writes:

> On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 10:12:48AM -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> >
> > Looking at the code, though, it doesn't seem to be a fatal error.  It
> > just seems to issue the warning and move on.  What's the test case?
>
> Aye, but ldlang.c:open_input_bfds has set the bfd error handler to
> record_bfd_errors.  record_bfd_errors stops output file creation on
> any error.

Well, I don't know what that's about.  That's completely wrong.  If
BFD wants to report a fatal error, it should arrange to return false.
If BFD does not want to report a fatal error, it should not return
false.  It makes no sense for the linker to try to second guess BFD in
this regard.

According to the ChangeLog, H.J. added this:

2001-02-26  H.J. Lu  <hjl@gnu.org>

	* ldlang.c (open_input_bfds): Set the bfd error handler so
        that problems can be caught whilst loading symbols.
        (record_bfd_errors): New function: Report BFD errors and mark
        the executable output as being invalid.

Why?

Ian