This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: PATCH: config.if for glibc 2.2
- To: "H . J . Lu" <hjl at lucon dot org>
- Subject: Re: PATCH: config.if for glibc 2.2
- From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro at ds2 dot pg dot gda dot pl>
- Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 21:38:22 +0200 (MET DST)
- cc: Mark Kettenis <kettenis at science dot uva dot nl>, binutils at sourceware dot cygnus dot com, gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Organization: Technical University of Gdansk
- Reply-To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro at ds2 dot pg dot gda dot pl>
On Wed, 16 May 2001, H . J . Lu wrote:
> Wrong. Which compiler are you using to do such a test when you build a
> cross compiler? The right compiler to use is the cross compiler you
The one that is going to be used to build libstdc++. At the point
config.if gets evaluated the compiler is already available and the CC
variable is set appropriately.
> are trying to configure/build. It may not even exist at this point. It
> is a chicken and egg problem. That is why I hard coded it.
I've tested the patch building a native cross-compiler (i.e. for $build
== $host != $target) and cross-building a native compiler (i.e. for $build
!= $host == $target). I haven't tested the cross-building a
cross-compiler case (i.e. for $build != $host != $target), but looking at
Makefiles and scripts as well as at build logs from the two former cases I
conclude CC will be set correctly as well.
> It is a very tricky problem. There are many ugly ways to detect
> __GLIBC_MINOR__. I don't like them very much nor want to spend my
> time on them.
Incompatible binaries are annoying enough to justify making libstdc++'s
soname consistent for both a natively built one and a cross-compiled one.
With the current setup, depending on the configuration, you end up with
different requirements for natively built and cross-built binaries.
I've been hit with this on MIPS/Linux; others may observe it, too.
+ Maciej W. Rozycki, Technical University of Gdansk, Poland +
+ e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, PGP key available +