GNU Cauldron 2017 Agenda
Update this with minutes after the event.
We expect to have two session slots for Cauldron 2017 in addition to slots for individual topics (e.g. tunables).
- dlopen vs TLS [Carlos]
- Build bots [Carlos]
- Testsuite [Carlos]
- Benchmarking [Carlos, Siddhesh]
- ABI and Vendor branches [Ramana]
- Bug triage [Adhemerval]
- Cancellation refactor and fixes [Adhemerval]
- Getting new contributors, GSoC, etc. [Siddhesh]
GNU Cauldron 2017 Notes
- What is going on with realloc?
Alan Modra - Maintainer/Contributor BoF:
- Discussed adopting the linux kernel signed-of-by and reviewed-by and tested-by lines in contributions.
- Discussed adopting phabricator which doesn't require any additional workflow if you don't want to review such patches.
- Comments were made that patchwork was not useful for general patch review because of the additional required work by submitters to cleanup aptches.
- Carlos noted that it is useful for going back to review patches needing work if you maintain those particular patch entries in patchwork.
AArch64 / ARM BoF:
- Do IFUNC resolvers have the right signature? Should we just make sure you can run a constructor first, set global data, and then the IFUNC uses the global data to select what it needs. Much like the way rtld runs it's own global data initialization and then uses that global data on x86_64 to do IFUNC resolver selection for the detected CPU.
Idea: Remove sym<-> soname check, and allow the movement of old symbols to a compat library loaded with LD_PRELOAD.
- Consider merging libc/libpthread.
- Consider impact of merged libraries on other users and their understanding of how unix-like OSs should work.
The GNU C Library BoF - runtime:
- Planning for glibc 2.27
August 2017 -> January 2018 timeframe.
- Cancellation (Adhemerval) - Review.
- C11 Threads (Adhemerval) - Review.
- Rely on type system and rely only on that to tell the user what they are doing is wrong.
- IBM long double to float128.
- strlcpy/strlcat resubmission (Florian)
- arc4random implementation (Florian)
- Needed for security.
- IFUNC resolution scheduling (Florian)
- Needs dl-minimal implementation?
- Torvald is doing other work for a while.
- nscd fixes reviewed (dj/carlos)
- Math library changes (Szabolcs)
- Collaboration on math library fixups
- Single precision generic code changes.
- TLS descriptors on aarch64 (Szabolcs)
- Review descriptor usage lazy vs non-lazy
- AArch64 ILP32 branch maintenance (Szabolcs)
- Branch is up for anyone who wants to test.
- Vectorization of string and memory implementations (Adhemerval)
- Generic ones should use wider data types to vectorize for all arches.
- Planning for glibc 2.28
- February 2018 and July 2018.
- IBM long double to float128 may extend to here.
- Math library double precision review (Szabolcs)
- Maybe looking at this.
- Siddhesh, Szabolcs, and IBM may need to work together.
- Discuss with community the addition of signed-off-by, and reviewed-by.
- Discuss adding phabricator to facilitate review if reviewer or submitter wishes to do so.
- Re-iterate that commit messages are subject/body of the final email for the patch.
Re-iterate consensus on auto-generation of ChangeLog from commit messages, and doing so frequently with fixes in the commited ChangeLog (rather than changing a commit and regenerating, which is imposssible with immutable history).