Re: CygwinPerl Q - interact with symlinked dir?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Soren Andersen" <soren_andersen@speedymail.org>
To: <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2002 02:57
Subject: Re: CygwinPerl Q - interact with symlinked dir?

> On 20 Jan 2002 at 19:21, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
>
> > Another question:
> >
> > >So I did this:
> > >------------------------------------------------------------
> > >$  ln -svdnf '/home/sorenboss/.cpan/' ~/.cpan
> > >create symbolic link `/cdv/e/home/sorenboss/.cpan' to
> > >`/home/sorenboss/.cpan/'
> > >------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > Why didn't you mount this way:
> > $ mount -s -b x:/cygwin/home/sorenboss/.cpan \
> > > e:/home/sorenboss/.cpan
> > ?
> >
> > I use always mount for something like this.
>
> Thanks. Well, it didn't occur to me to do that, is why. I have seldom
mounted subdirs to subdirs,
> splicing something into the filesystem tree like that, and I think it is
because I haven't understood
> mount very well, and therefore been nervous about what would happen. This
is an area of the Cygwin
> documentation that could use some work, IMO.
>
>  [ a little time passes..]
>
> Looking at it again, I am *seriously* confused about what you are
suggesting. I thought -- and I am not
> claiming (and have never claimed) to thoroughly understand `mount' -- but
I thought that the last arg to
> mount had to be a POSIX path?? You seem to be supplying two win32/DOS
paths as args to `mount'.
> Is this good to do?

The second argument should be the POSIX path.  So your mount command would
be:

mount -s -b x:/cygwin/home/sorenboss/.cpan /home/sorenboss/.cpan

It might be useful to create an empty directory '/home/sorenboss/.cpan'
before the mount.  It seems to make umount and some directory searching work
better.
--
Mac :})