CygwinPerl Q - interact with symlinked dir?

Hello,

I recently had move some files around due to space constraints on my local
disks. What got moved was my $HOME directory subtree (where ~/* points to
in Cygwin). LONG time ago, when setting up Cygwin Perl, I choose to place
the .cpan directory under my user home directory "~/".

Now my "~/" is on a different Windows volume ("E:") and everything is fine,
except I am worrying about getting zapped next time i need to run CPAN,
because: I needed to leave the large .cpan directory in the old location
("E:" is short on space).

So I did this:
$  ln -svdnf '/home/sorenboss/.cpan/' ~/.cpan
create symbolic link `/cdv/e/home/sorenboss/.cpan' to
`/home/sorenboss/.cpan/'
Well and dandy! That *seems* to mean that there is a symlink named
".cpan[.lnk]" in E:\home\sorenboss (posix mounted ~/) which points to a dir
"D:\cygwin\home\sorenboss\.cpan" (posix /home/sorenboss/.cpan), which in
turn contains two dirs: "build" and "sources" -- like it is supposed to.

My question is: what is Perl going to do when I run an invocation of CPAN?
Is it going to look in "~/.cpan" and if so, will it play nicely with a
symlink and transparently find the existing dirs over on the other logical
volume? Or will it still think that the configuration files are in
"D:\cygwin\home\sorenboss\.cpan" (/home/sorenboss/.cpan)?

TIA for any observations, tips and clues.

BTW, I think this minor remodelling project went so well because I set
$HOME in my overall Windows environment (as a global environmental variable
%HOME% -- for newbies) before starting Cygwin. I've got a system for doing
this that is somewhat flexible and automagical (in a teeny tiny minor way)
and I am going to post about it in another message.

   Best regards,
     Soren Andersen
--
Religion is a tool, like a hammer. You can use a hammer to build a house or
to kill your