Re: no output from net.exe

+-------------------
| At 12:59 PM 1/18/2002, Alex BATKO wrote:
| >Is that OK ?  I need 'ntea' to effectively use chmod.
|
| Not if you're working on NTFS partitions you don't.  You're *much* better
| off using 'ntsec'.  You can see the user guide if you're curious about
| this setting.  Of course, if you're running on a FAT partition and need
| chmod to work there, then you're stuck with 'ntea'.
+-------------------

The windows machine in question is running Windows 2000, and is using NTFS.
Look at this:

{1} cd /tmp/
{2} ls -l
total 0
{3} echo $CYGWIN
binmode ntea
{4} umask
077
{5} touch blah
{6} ls -l
total 0
-rw-------    1 ntroot   Administ        0 Jan 18 14:38 blah
{7} chmod 644 blah
{8} ls -l
total 0
-rw-r--r--    1 ntroot   Administ        0 Jan 18 14:38 blah
{9} export CYGWIN='binmode ntsec'
{10} ls -l
-rwxrwxrwx    1 Administ Administ        0 Jan 18 14:38 blah
{11} export CYGWIN='binmode ntea'
{12} ls -l
-rw-r--r--    1 ntroot   Administ        0 Jan 18 14:38 blah
{13} export CYGWIN='binmode ntsec'
{14} ls -l
-rw-------    1 ntroot   Administ        0 Jan 18 14:39 blah
{15} chmod 755 blah
{16} ls -l
total 0
-rwxr-xr-x    1 ntroot   Administ        0 Jan 18 14:39 blah

This experiment shows that 'ntea' and 'ntsec' can both set
permissions properly on NTFS.  It also shows that the modes will
look different from 'ntsec' if set by 'ntea' (and visa versa).

I don't know what you mean by saying that it's much better
to use 'ntsec' on NTFS.  I realize that the Cygwin User's Guide
(http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html)
about the CYGWIN environment variable states that with 'ntsec'
set, the file permissions can only be set on NTFS partitions.

The guide also says that the 'ntea' option only operates under
Windows NT (but clearly, it operates under Windows 2000).

But the guide doesn't say that one is better.  I may be completely
missing something (in reading and knowledge), so please advise...

I apologize in advance if I am wrong about what I have written.