Re: private rsync 'mirror'

Michael,

If you do not require unattended, scripted operation, Setup.exe performs
fine for local Cygwin mirroring as well as installing (use the "Download
from Internet" option to locally mirror your favorite Cygwin mirror site).

Otherwise, you can use any date-dependent / incremental, recursive FTP
retrieval tool (still using Setup.exe for installation, of course). I used
to do that using FTP Voyager (before I knew about wget), but since it was
still a manually invoked process, I've switched to simply using Setup.exe
for both retrieval and installation. I also must manually clean out old
packages--I keep the current and previous packages and discard the older
ones. I do not recall if the Cygwin mirrors keep "defunct" older versions
of the packages and if so how many, but if they do, it would interfere with
wanting an automated download if you didn't want to keep the same amount of
package history as your chosen mirror.

If you do want a scripted or automated option, just use wget with suitable
options. That should do what you want just fine. If you don't want to trail
along old versions, then you may need to write a script (sed, awk, Perl or
some such) to extract names of package files form the current Setup.ini
file and retrieve new ones, and, possibly, discard those no longer
"current" and/or "previous" and/or "experimental."

By the way, I've been bit once (out of a potential two times, I should say.
... "fooled me once...") by the need to use a "special" two-pass
installation procedure for certain package updates, so one really must read
the Cygwin mailing list for release and update announcements. Thus fully
automated or "blind" Cygwin updating is not yet a foolproof possibility.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA