Re: ColdFire tweaked gcc available for download

I have been using gcc 2.95.3 with David Fiddes Coldfire patches for some
time, compiling for a 68332 (cpu32) target.  This version is almost exactly
two years old now, and gcc has had a lot of improvements since then (I also
use it for a couple of other processors).  Additionally, I expect to be
working with a ucLinux system running on a Coldfire 5272 - the ucLinux
website also has gcc 2.95.3, with David Fiddes Coldfire patches (and a
couple of other patches).

What I am wondering, is whether I should be moving on from 2.95.3, and if
so, to what?  As far as I understand it, the patches add two things to the
basic gcc 2.95.3 - better code generation for the ColdFire, and the
"interrupt" attribute for C-level interrupt functions.  Does this new
version of gcc-3.0.4 improve on this?  If so, then presumably this is the
most sensible choice for a compiler for the ColdFire.  Does it support the
"interrupt" patches?  And how does it compare to newer versions of the main
gcc tree?  There have been a number of general improvements (such as compile
speed, and various language extensions) in gcc since 2.95.3, but have there
been any changes to the code generation for the m68k family?  And are these
changes going to be incorperated into the main gcc tree, or are they always
going to be patches?

I realise that's a lot of questions, but I'm a bit confused as to where we
stand today with embedded m68k tools, and where things are going.  I'm
actually quite happy with the tools I have now - they may be two years old,
but they still work perfectly well.  However, if there are improvements
available then I am obviously interested.  I also would expect ucLinux
developers to be interested too.  Am I right in thinking that a sizeable
proportion of m68k gcc useage today is cross-compiling for embedded targets,
rather than native compilation on m68k hosts?

David Brown
Norway.

http://www.objsw.com/CrossGCC/