display centering

Hans Ronne hronne@comhem.se
Fri Oct 10 21:22:00 GMT 2003


>Hi again,
>
>On Sat, 11 Oct 2003, Peter Garrone wrote:
>
>>  When the turn is finished, the AI player does its thing off-screen so
>>  to speak, which is all a bit boring. I have tried the following simple
>>  patch a bit which re-centers the screen whenever the ai player does
>>  any combat.
>
>I haven't tried your patch yet, but one of my concerns would be
>that things would get re-centered twice if you have follow-action
>on, and are viewing an attack on one of your own units. Another
>concern would be: how annoying is it if the turns are progressing
>simultaneously rather than sequentially?

Yes. There is another consideration, too. In games with several sides and
many units, the game slows down to a crawl if everything the AI does
offscreen is shown. This is because the hit-unit-animations are the by far
the most time-consuming parts of the game (somehting like 95% of the total
time). I posted some profiling data on this about one year ago.

Hans




More information about the Xconq7 mailing list