galaxy

Marcus Schrattenholzer 1schratt@informatik.uni-hamburg.de
Wed May 14 03:47:00 GMT 1997

I attach a mildly improved version of galaxy, which I think can be
incorporated directly, since it does not contain any major changes,
just:
- camouflage property of nebulas enabled as described in the notes
(visibility reduced by 80%)
- anti matter consumption in combat enabled
- effect of photon torpedos on planets reduced; it said before in the
game notes that it took 5 resp. 8 torpedos to destroy a moon/planet.
This is now the case (before it was 2 resp. 3. What is the use of a
death star, if you can eliminate a planet with a battlecruiser?)
- repair facilities added: Death Stars, moons and planets repair
themselves, and all transports can repair their occupants.
- notes synchronized (light cruisers cannot provide photon torpedos)
Further, I tried to make the grid visible by setting grid-color to
"white". This worked; however, all unseen terrain was then also white,
which looked horrible and which I could not remedy by setting
unseen-color to "black". (Therefore I didn't change anything, at last.)
What can be done?

The recently posted revision by Massimo Campostrini I consider a
different game, which should not in any case replace the old one. A star
base is a really all too poor substitute for the most ferocious weapon
in the universe (which still is not *too* powerful, as long as both
sides own one in the beginning). Photon torpedos as a material have some
advantages, but the reduced efficiency in greater distance is no more
represented. Black holes, finally, are a unique element of chance and
fun in this game. (Although I would like them to become marked up in the
map for anyone who has lost a ship into one of them. Any idea how to
realize this?)