nits to please a kernel hacker

Frank Ch. Eigler fche@redhat.com
Tue Sep 30 14:11:00 GMT 2008


Theodore Tso <tytso@mit.edu> writes:

> [...]
>> Ok, there is finally.  Two -v's just to see the command line it tried to run?
>> Really?  Even though you deserved it for that smarmy damn error message,
>> I'm feeling a little bad about the tire-iron.  So, I'm working with ya!
>
> [...]
> Stupid question, is there a reason than messages from stderr are
> filtered out unless a sufficiently high -v is given?  I can see
> wanting to filter out warning messages, but are there normally lots of
> error messages sent out to stderr that need to be filtered?

That's a good point; actual error messages should not be filtered by
the verbosity logic.  Rather, verbosity values should produce more
informative text about what preceded the error.

(By the way, many of Roland's frustrations could've been avoided
had he done it the README way and ran a "make install".)


- FChE



More information about the Systemtap mailing list