Probing assembly labels

Mike Mason mmlnx@us.ibm.com
Sun Sep 9 21:32:00 GMT 2007

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> Mike Mason <mmlnx@us.ibm.com> writes:
>
>> Is there any way to place probes on assembly labels with SystemTap?  [...]
>
> This sounds like bug #4843.

Might be related.  On the surface there appear to be some slight differences in what's being attempted, but I'm no assembly expert, so I can't say for sure.

> (Do your particular assembler labels survive in any form into the
> finished executables?)

Yes, they do appear in /proc/kallsyms.  Specifically, they are system_call and hardware_interrupt_entry on powerpc.

BTW, I'm asking this on behalf of Dave Nomura, who's doing the instruction tracing port.

Mike