[RFC][PATCH 0/4][kprobe](djprobe) Direct jump optimized kprobes

Masami Hiramatsu masami.hiramatsu.pt@hitachi.com
Tue Nov 28 15:56:00 GMT 2006


Hi Ingo,

Thank you for reviewing!

Ingo Molnar wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 19:05 -0500, Satoshi Oshima wrote:
>> Yes. This is the problem. We couldn't find anything good way to
>> ensure the safety of branch target without debuginfo. 

I think Satoshi said we can find a good way to ensure safety with
debuginfo.

> If existing in-kernel debug info is not enough then i'd suggest to add
> an extra build pass to the kernel to add it (dependent on
> CONFIG_KPROBES) - a'la CONFIG_UNWIND_INFO. Am i missing something?

As far as I know, there is no debuginfo in the kernel which is
loaded in the memory. But the debuginfo is included in the
"vmlinux" file (not the "vmlinuz" file).

So, I think he'd like to say that we can ensure safety by
analyzing the "vmlinux" file.
Is it right, Satoshi?

Thanks,

-- 
Masami HIRAMATSU
Linux Technology Center
Hitachi, Ltd., Systems Development Laboratory
E-mail: masami.hiramatsu.pt@hitachi.com



More information about the Systemtap mailing list