Evaluating SystemTap for Network Response Times
Hien Nguyen
hien@us.ibm.com
Tue Feb 7 00:17:00 GMT 2006
Hi Nathan,
There are actually two seperate files
1. tcp_mon.stp
2. tcp_tapset/tapset.stp
I include in this mail a tar file for those file for your convenience.
Create a tmp directory,
cd tmp, untar the file and run
stap -I./tcp_tapset tcp_mon.stp (as root)
Thanks, Hien.
Nathan DeBardeleben wrote:
> Hien Nguyen wrote:
>
>> Hi Nathan,
>>
>> I think what you are trying to achieve could be done with systemtap.
>> I wrote a small script to monitor the tcp traffic a while back (see
>> URL below)
>> http://sourceware.org/ml/systemtap/2005-q4/msg00302.html
>>
> I'm a complete newbie to systemtap, so please explain why when I try
> and run the example on the link above that you sent me I get this:
>
>> [root@kraken1 systemtap]# stap -v tcp_mon.stp
>> Created temporary directory "/tmp/stapM6VSNS"
>> parse error: embedded code in unprivileged script
>> saw: embedded-code at tcp_mon.stp:70:1
>> 1 parse error(s).
>> Searched
>> '/usr/share/systemtap/tapset/2.6.14-1.1656_FC4smp/x86_64/*.stp',
>> match count 0
>> Searched '/usr/share/systemtap/tapset/2.6.14-1.1656_FC4smp/*.stp',
>> match count 0
>> Searched '/usr/share/systemtap/tapset/2.6.14/x86_64/*.stp', match
>> count 0
>> Searched '/usr/share/systemtap/tapset/2.6.14/*.stp', match count 1
>> Searched '/usr/share/systemtap/tapset/2.6/x86_64/*.stp', match count 0
>> Searched '/usr/share/systemtap/tapset/2.6/*.stp', match count 0
>> Searched '/usr/share/systemtap/tapset/x86_64/*.stp', match count 0
>> Searched '/usr/share/systemtap/tapset/*.stp', match count 8
>> Pass 1: parsed user script and 9 library script(s).
>> Pass 1: parse failed. Running rm -rf /tmp/stapM6VSNS
>> [root@kraken1 systemtap]#
>
> Also you say to copy tapset.stp to a directory you create in that post
> - where do I get tapset.stp?
>
> Sorry for the beginner question :)
>
> -- Nathan
> Correspondence
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> Nathan DeBardeleben, Ph.D.
> Los Alamos National Laboratory
> Parallel Tools Team
> High Performance Computing Environments
> phone: 505-667-3428
> email: ndebard@lanl.gov
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: tcp_mon.tar.gz
Type: application/x-gzip
Size: 937 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://sourceware.org/pipermail/systemtap/attachments/20060207/bd5443a7/attachment.bin>
More information about the Systemtap
mailing list