Question about the snavigator compliation under win98

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Mon Mar 18 11:50:00 GMT 2002

Wally,

I think you've got it backward. A Unix-mode mount (a.k.a. "binmode") causes
the Cygwin "kernel" (cygwin1.dll) _not_ to alter file contents during I/O
operations, so when a Cygwin program writes a single newline to a file,
that's what goes into the file. With a text-mode mount, the Cygwin
emulation layer must perform the translation. Naturally, the reverse occurs
during reading.

I don't want to impose that translation because of the performance penalty
of applying a ubiquitous (and non-in-place) transformation on all text I/O
that happens within Cygwin, which is where I do all my Windows-based
programming.

It seems to me that the onus of providing a compatible version of any given
piece of software should be on the author or porter, not the user.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA