Debugging under Windows environment

Syd Polk spolk@baritoneconsulting.com
Tue Mar 5 12:06:00 GMT 2002

On Tuesday, March 5, 2002, at 10:53 , Bruce Edson wrote:

> I have successfully built Source Navigator on Windows 2000 under the
> Cygwin
> bash shell.  I am now in the process of making
> modifications/enhancements to
> the application.  I now need to embark on debugging changes and have
> some
> questions.

I assume you used the Microsoft compiler.

> 1. What is the best way to go about debugging the application, and/or my
> changes?
>
> 2. Do I debug from within Cygwin, or Windows?

Since you have used the Microsoft compiler, using the Visual Studio
debugger is the correct way.

However, unless you are in the C code, I would use the hyper console
interactively to debug your tcl code.

> 3. What tool is best to use, and does it have the typical debug
> capabilities? (assuming I can't use MS VC++ Visual Studio)

You managed to get it up and running compiling with gcc? Then, use gdb.

> 4. How do I build a debuggable version of the application?

If you used Visual Studio, I believe you need to set CFLAGS to "-Z7" or
some such when configuring. If you used gcc, "-g".

> 5. Where is there documentation about debugging in this environment?

Well, there isn't much.