Trouble building grep portion of Source Navigator

Bruce Edson bruce@steptech.com
Thu Feb 28 14:12:00 GMT 2002

Hi all,

I'm still trying to build Source Navigator under Windows using VC++ 6.0.
I've gotten to the point of the 'make' where it is trying to build the grep
portion of Source Navigator.  Everything else ahead of grep seems to compile
and link okay.  I notice two problems.

First problem encountered:

  It appeared that a portion of grep compiles.  It then runs into a problem
with a missing libintl.h file.  When I look into the include directory
../intl, sure enough the file is there, but, it is a Windows shortcut file
to libgettext.h back in the source tree.  I wasn't aware that Make would
work with shortcut files.  If I replace the shortcut with a real version of
the file (not libgettext.h), I get past this problem.  Why is this shortcut
file being created for me?  Also, if I use '--with-included-gettext' for
configure, the problem still exists, even though this would suggest
eliminating the need for libintl.h.  Any ideas?

  Making all in src
  make[3]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/snkeck/snbuild/grep/src'
  cl.exe -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../../../source/grep/src -I.. -I../intl
-DLOCALEDIR
  =\"c:/snkeck/install/share/locale\"    -Z7 -Od -c `cygpath -w
../../../source/gr
  ep/src/grep.c`
  Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 12.00.8804 for
80x86
  Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1984-1998. All rights reserved.

  grep.c
  c:\snkeck\source\grep\src\system.h(159) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open
include
   file: 'libintl.h': No such file or directory
  make[3]: *** [grep.obj] Error 2

Second problem encountered:

  After copying a real libintl.h file into ../grep/intl, the make compiles
the c files okay and then tries to work with a file called libintl.a.  I get
the following output.  Could anyone give me a clue as to what is going
wrong?  Is there an incompatability with VC++ compiler/linker?  I tried
adding '--with-included-gettext' to the configure and starting over with a
clean build directory.  No change.

  cl.exe  -Z7 -Od  -o grep.exe  grep.obj dfa.obj kwset.obj obstack.obj
getopt.obj
  getopt1.obj search.obj btowc.obj regex.obj ../intl/libintl.a
  Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 12.00.8804 for
80x86
  Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1984-1998. All rights reserved.

  Command line warning D4024 : unrecognized source file type
'../intl/libintl.a',
  object file assumed
  Microsoft (R) Incremental Linker Version 6.00.8447
  Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1992-1998. All rights reserved.

  /out:grep.exe
  /debug
  /out:grep.exe
  grep.obj
  dfa.obj
  kwset.obj
  obstack.obj
  getopt.obj
  getopt1.obj
  search.obj
  btowc.obj
  regex.obj
  ../intl/libintl.a
  regex.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _alloca
  libintl.a(dcgettext.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
_alloca
  libintl.a(localealias.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
_alloca
  grep.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
  make[3]: *** [grep.exe] Error 2
  make[3]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/snkeck/snbuild/grep/src'

Bruce Edson,  Project Manager
STEP Technology
A Division of Integrated Information Systems
phone 503.892.4743
fax 503.244.1758
email bruce@steptech.com, <mailto:bruce@steptech.com>
www.steptech.com, www.iis.com