Wishlist

Ian Roxborough irox@redhat.com
Fri Feb 1 16:30:00 GMT 2002

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002 03:07:03 -0600  "Davies, Mike" <MDavies@uk.waukbearing.com> wrote:

> > I believe this bug has been fix in the CVS version.
> > The CVS version is a little broken in some regards
> > and there is little hope of building it on Windows
> > for a while atleast.
>
> I tried to build the released version on Windows a while back.  Although it
> compiled OK it did not give the same executable as the released binary and
> it also seemed less reliable.   Is a theoretical set of build instructions
> available for this platform ?

There is, but I can't remember where they are keep.
Your best bet is to search the SN mailing list archive.

>   Can we use the latest version of the windows
> hosted TCL/TK from the scriptics site (8.3.4.2),  or must we compile the one
> that comes with SN?

Well, I'm not sure anymore.  It used to be that you had to use the
Tcl/Tk version that comes with SN, but I've done a lot of work
to remove those depandencies.  They may be a couple of problems
with using the activestate/scriptics versions, so I would using
the SN version.  If you try other version of Tcl/Tk, let me
know how you get on.

>  What actually are the problems with compiling under
> Windows,  is it just a broken build or are there fundamental issues that
> must be addressed ?

They are a few fundamental issues, but it is really
a matter of having a week or two to spend on the build.
The crux of the matter is we are changing the build
from using MS-VC++ to gcc, currently it's not working
with either.

Ian.