SourceNav release ...

Roman Levenstein romixlev@yahoo.com
Fri Jan 4 02:56:00 GMT 2002

Hi,

>because the actual tcl parser is written in a strange

>licenced interpreter "rex?" and redhat don't have the

>origin source code and the license to this parser.
>Also SN tcl parser doesn't support tcl/tk8.x. So if
>there are enough people interested in this I would
start
>writing a new parser (using flex) for tcl that
supports
>tcltk8.x (without xref).

The Rex scanner generator is a part of the Cocktail
Toolbox, which is also used for other SN parsers such
as  Cobol and Java parsers.

There is a public domain version of it, which can be
found at:
http://www.gmd.de/SCAI/lab/adaptor/cocktail.html

So, there is no problem with a licence.

As for the origin source for the *.rex file, it's also
not a problem. REX specification is generated from
*.scan file by cg tool as far as I remember. Anyway,
there is a description of this process in the docs.

BTW, Cocktail is one of the best compiler construction
toolkits and it's really very powerful and much better
than yacc/lex. It covers the whole process of compiler
construction- from lexical and syntax analysis up to
code generation and register allocation. And, which is
also very important, the generated parsers and
scanners   are much faster than those generated by
lex/yacc.

Roman