future plans

Bruce Stephens bruce@cenderis.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 21 15:18:00 GMT 2000

Tom Tromey <tromey@cygnus.com> writes:

> >> Gnome's session management is just XSMP.  There is an (ugly) X library
> >> to help you do this; Gnome just wraps it with a nicer API.  (At some
> >> point session management and configuration storage might tie together
> >> somehow.  That would be harder to emulate.)
>
> Syd> I don't know what "session management" means.
>
> When you log out, Gnome can save the state of all applications (all
> those which support session management) and then later restart the
> session where you left off.
>
> The idea is applications will remember what documents were open,
> cursor positions, etc.

I don't think this requires anything that Tk doesn't already have,
does it?  Can't an application just use "wm protocol <win>
WM_SAVE_YOURSELF" and do something to save its state?  Hmm, I guess
there's a bit more to it than that: to restore, it would need to be
able to identify an instance of information, but overall it shouldn't
be *that* much more.