running INSTALL for Linux

Deborah Briggs DBriggs@dotcast.com
Thu Oct 19 08:52:00 GMT 2000

Thanks; now I've got the DISPLAY variable set correctly. and the
installation appears normal on my X window.  But with the Windows X server
that I'm using (from MicroImages), when I invoke SourceNavigator and select
"New Project", I'm getting an error that the vendor says is due to the
following:

A: This error occurs when the UNIX box that MI/X is running against attempts
to pass an image that is at a greater bit depth than the display of the
local machine is set to. For example, if you are running MI/X on a Windows
machine set to display 256 colors (8-bit) and the program you are running
tries to pass a 16 bit image, you'll get this error. To correct this, set
the parameters of the program you are running to match the resolution of the
local machine, or change the resolution of the local machine to match the
bit depth of the images that the UNIX box is trying to pass.

Since the windows setting is at it's highest level (32 bit TrueColor), I
can't raise it.  I see that source navigator supports a -colormap parameter,
can this be used to fix the problem?

Alternatively, if you know of a Windows X server that works with your app,
please let me know.

Thanks-

Deb