sourcenav deb dir layout

Mike A. Harris mharris@opensourceadvocate.org
Wed Oct 18 10:21:00 GMT 2000

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Syd Polk wrote:

>> >Source-Navigator is designed to integrated with the other gnu tools that
>> >Red Hat offers, and has a directory structure which maps that. We will keep
>> >these changes in mind, however.
>>
>> The funny thing though, is Source Navigator doesn't follow Red
>> Hat conventions of file locations either.  ;o)  Red Hat 7.0 of
>> course approaches FHS compliance, and both debian and Red Hat are
>> becoming similar in this manner.
>>

>I should have said "Cygnus conventions". The gnu tools group
>has very little to do with Red Hat 7. This will change over
>time, obviously.

Yeah, thats ok..  I realize that it takes time to make the
changes.  Especially with something the size of source nav.

This is a big thing, and it will take some time I suspect.

>> It turns out, source nav installs grep/egrep/fgrep and a slew of
>> other utils into /usr/local/bin when built for /usr/local, and
>> /usr/local was in the path first, so the sourcenav utils got used
>> instead of /bin/grep, etc..  The problem is that the SourceNav
>> grep and friends do not support all grep commandline options.  It
>> took me a few days to figure this out..  ;o)
>
>This is why I have been resistant to RPMs at this time. We are
>currently in the process of removing grep from our build tree.

Oh, its no biggie once it is known.  I fully expected numerous
problems..  It's all part of the fun of packaging anything at all
really.  ;o)

>> What is the reasoning behind bringing a copy of grep and other
>> utils with sourcenav? Is it for systems not having it?  If so,
>> can I safely exclude it from the Red Hat packages?
>
>We added some "features" to grep. Without snavigator's grep, the grep window
>will not work.

Ok, makes sense.

>I have repeatedly stated that we will put out RPM versions of
>Source-Navigator after we finish the 5.0 release, which should
>be late this year or early next year. I know it is a long time
>to wait, but hopefully, these issues will have disappeared by
>then.

Yep, thats good.  Lots of people could benefit from the great
stuff already there though, so it doesn't hurt for me to try to
put out some RPM's right now.  It'll take some time though..  I
realize the scope, and am proceeding with caution anyways.  I
might not get it completed, but I'll certainly have fun
trying!  ;o)

Thanks again,
TTYL

      Mike A. Harris  -  Linux advocate  -  Open source advocate
              Computer Consultant - Capslock Consulting
                 Copyright 2000 all rights reserved