sourcenav deb dir layout

Mo DeJong mdejong@cygnus.com
Wed Oct 18 00:27:00 GMT 2000

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Ben Elliston wrote:

>    What is the reasoning behind bringing a copy of grep and other utils
>    with sourcenav? Is it for systems not having it?  If so, can I safely
>    exclude it from the Red Hat packages?
>
> The version of grep that is built by S-N includes a number of command line
> options that were necessary to make it work better with S-N -- for instance,
> it emitted progress indication to stderr which S-N used to give visual
> feedback of grep's progress.
>
> I believe the current version eliminates the need for a special version of
> grep, but I could be mistaken.  I'll leave that up to one of the current
> team to speak about.
>
> Ben

Guys, I thought we had been over this before. Yes, 4.5
uses a custom grep that was forked a couple of years
ago. The need for this custom grep has been removed
in 5.0 because of all the problems it would create if
you tried to make a RPM.

I still think it is great that you gents are willing to
go through the pain of creating deb/rpm package for
4.5, but I still think you should just put everything
in a sn root (like /usr/sourcenav) and be done
with it. You are going to have nothing but problems
trying to get the 4.5 codebase to play nice with
the other executables in /usr.

Toasted executables:

egrep
fgrep
grep
itclsh3.0
itkwish3.0
tclsh
wish

Heck, just the fact that you dont want to
install /usr/README.TXT is enough.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc