Can't configure in source dir..

Mike A. Harris mharris@opensourceadvocate.org
Tue Oct 10 13:37:00 GMT 2000

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Ian Roxborough wrote:

>Have you tried building out side of the the source tree?

I did try once, yes and it failed with a different error so I
figured I did it wrong and reverted to the initial defacto
standard way as documented in the README.

>E.g.
>
>$ mkdir /home/user/sn/src
>$ mkdir /home/user/sn/build
>$ cd /home/user/sn/src
>$ tar -xvzf ...../<sn-sources>.tar.gz
>$ cd /home/user/sn/build
>$ ../src/configure --prefix=/home/user/sn/install
>$ make all-snavigator
>$ make install-snavigator
>
>This should help.

Ouch, my brain hurts.  ;o)  This is the first time I've ever seen
a package require such an oddball build method.  ;o)  I'll try it
though.  It might be better to patch the build process than to
try to come up with a convoluted RPM build method to work around
it.

Any idea _why_ it does this?  I am almost positive 451 did not
require this.  Looking at the configure script it appears that it
is done for some internal cygnus reason..  Is there a:

./configure --Im-not-cygnus-so-dont-do-that

option at all?  ;o)

Thanks for the suggestion!  I'll give it a whirl.

TTYL

      Mike A. Harris  -  Linux advocate  -  Open source advocate
              Computer Consultant - Capslock Consulting
                 Copyright 2000 all rights reserved

Red Hat FAQ tip: Having trouble upgrading RPM 3.0.x to RPM 4.0.x?  Upgrade
first to version 3.0.5, and then to 4.0.x.  All packages are available on
Red Hat's ftp sites:       ftp://ftp.redhat.com  ftp://rawhide.redhat.com