Source navigator roadmap, features list, etc.?

Syd Polk spolk@redhat.com
Thu Sep 28 13:25:00 GMT 2000

At 08:17 AM 9/28/00 +0100, dave.banham@tde.alstom.com wrote:

>On the subject of bug reporting, I find that SN's inbuilt crash reporting
>system
>doesn't work very well on my Win NT4 workstation - possibly because it has
>Lotus
>Notes e-mail installed which isn't compatible with anything! If you would like
>crash reports to be submitted may I suggest that either a cut & paste
>option is
>provided (so that I can e-mail it to you) or an alternative submission
>method of
>say an HTTP post be provided.
>
>On the subject of member functions not being xref'd, I have found that (in C)
>function names used as function pointers (i.e. in call-back
>initialisation) are
>not xref'd. In fact the only way I can find them is to Grep the entire project
>which takes a number of minutes.

This is actually really hard to do.

We could certainly flag assignments of function pointers, but there is no
good static determination of when a function is actually called
dereferencing a function pointer. This requires runtime analysis. And it
could be wrong; the runtime analysis would have to have a reverse table of
addresses to functions. A debugger could do this while the exe is running.

So the only thing we can do is flag assignments of function pointers and
put it in the database.

>Dave Banham

Syd Polk		spolk@redhat.com
Engineering Manager	+1 415 777 9810 x 241
Red Hat, Inc.