SN4.5.2: problems compiling it using cygwin

Syd Polk spolk@redhat.com
Wed Sep 13 08:53:00 GMT 2000

You have two options:

1. Download the binary.

Or read on:

Kai Denker wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have downloaded and extracted the 4.5.2-Source and tried to compile
> it using cygwin unter Win98, but it failed:
>
> $ ./configure
> Configuring for a i586-pc-cygwin32 host.

This is an old version of cygwin. You need to upgrade. Also, we only support
Microsoft Visual C++ 5.0 as the compiler. When you have the net release of
cygwin (available via http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin ), and MSVC C++ 5.0, you
can then attempt to build Source-Navigator on Windows.

I would recommend building it on Windows only if you plan on hacking and giving
us patches.

> *** Cannot configure in source tree.
> *** Make a parallel directory and configure there.
>
> I am not experienced with building Unix-software (with
> configure-Scripts), so I have no idea, how to remove this "source
> tree"-attribute. Any ideas?
>
> Regards
>         Kai Denker

What this means is that you need to build and install in separate directories
from the source tree. After you unpack the source, you will get a directory
called SN452-src. You want to create another directory at the same level, so
that you have:

bash-2.01% ls
SN452-src
SN452-build

Then, cd SN452-build. Type the following command line:

CC=cl CFLAGS="-0d -Z7" ../SN452-src/configure
make all-snavigator
make install-snavigator

We hope to have support for gcc done by the end of the year.